Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Take My V Card?


After years of being disappointed by online dating, I thought that to get a truly quality man, I would take out a full page Boyfriend Wanted ad in the New York Times. Then I looked up how expensive a full page ad in the NY Times was and settled on the next best thing... I put up an ad on Craigslist. Probably the same guys read those ads, right? 

I know what you're thinking: You can find a job on Craigslist, you can find used books, or bicycle shares. One night stands and random hook-ups, absolutely. What are the chances that a real guy looking for love will respond though? 

For this slightly insane endeavor, I combined advice from two of my good friends. One who suggest the CL post to begin with (she knew I didn't have a spare $395 for the NY Times!) and one who suggested going out with a nerd. As I have made friends with most of the Starbucks baristas in the metro area now, Ali and I were chatting over chai about how awesome her boyfriend is and I would be thrilled dating someone as kind and considerate as he is. Her reply was "He's nice because he's a nerd and he's just thrilled to be getting laid!"

Two things are true there. 1) Nerds are nicer and 2) Wouldn't it be great to date someone who actually appreciated me?

She told me that they were going to see The Hobbit together that night and would I like to come along? I'd probably meet a great geek all alone at the theater and cheer up his whole night by sitting with him! Thus, the seed was planted in my little blonde brain. I would seek out a nerd of my own and entrench myself in his cosmos of intellect and social awkwardness. This super-geek could teach me everything I've been resisting knowing all these years! First Lord of the Rings and then who knows what? Star Wars! Star Trek! Heaven help me from saying Doctor Who. There's a multiverse of ComicCon culture out there and it's time I stop fighting the tidal wave. I'm diving in...

*Please Note: This is my actual Craigslist posting from December 27th, 2012*

Take My LOTR V-Card?



Sooooo...I've never seen (or read) the Lord of the Rings trilogy. What can I say? I'm a girl. I'm guessing you didn't grow up reading The Babysitters Club or Sweet Valley High, so don't judge me :-)

Anywho, I've decided that it's time to cash in my LOTR V-Card and I'm looking for just the right kind of nerd to take it from me. We can start by going to see The Hobbit, and if that goes well, you can treat me to viewings of all three of the other films (which I'm assuming you own on DVD, BluRay, Laser Disc and / or possibly even VHS. Bonus points if you have All of the Above!)

Why date a nerd? It's simple. Nerds are nicer. I want to date a guy whose hobbies and interests I can really get into. I want to step way outside my comfort zone. I want to learn something new. I want to expand my world and I'm hoping that somewhere out there is a guy who can help me do it!

Kindly reply with a little bit about yourself and a picture so we can get to know each other better. I'm 100% real about who I am and why I'm doing this, so please be upfront about who you are and what you want too. Thanks so much, and happy emailing!


1 comment: